Sunday, December 12, 2004

Hotels

You can get a room for twenty birr, 2 euros in Adis Abeba, specially in Mercato area but obviously it not not very confortable, toilet outside the room use by other 25 people, I really do not recomend, but you can get a good hotel for about 75 birr, 7,50 euros for example Debre Damo Hotel, I think it is the cheapest of the hotels in Adis which is mentioned in the international guides, I have sleep there many times it is not bad, any way the telephone is 251-1-612630, the price I mentioned perhaps is a bit outdated, check.

Another hotel which I like is Ras Hotel, it is a chain of hotels, in Ethiopia, Government run, used mostly by upper middle class Ethiopians, the personnel is more polite then the very touristic hotels...

The price is about 125 birr, although I pay 95, not because I write this but because I have residence, and Ethiopians and foreigners with residence get a discount, actually before I had residence I thought this policy rather stupid!

The advantage of Ras Hotel is that it is in the very centre of Addis Ababa. With telecommunications 100 meters to the right and a supermarket 100 meters to the left.

Outside Addis there is not so much choice, but most of the time you can find a place to stay, and you find most of the time a Ras Hotel, ras means duke.